Spotify, an online music streaming service, launched in the US today, after being available in some select European countries. But what if you don’t live in the US or one of those European countries? We have the solution for you.
This will be done with a free VPN service. One that I have used in the past is called ProXPN. They offer a free service. It’s limited in bandwidth…but this is plenty for music streaming! It might now get the job done for HD Netflix, but at the relative low bitrates of audio files it works fine.
Scratch that, I have just tested the below method and am currently streaming via the Spotify app on a Mac, from Canada using a UK account! All without using a VPN!
But what if you don’t have an invite to get a free account?
Update: Invites are available here, courtesy of Trent Reznor
Well, this method works to turn a UK account into a US account (Or you can continue to use the UK account). Simply go to daveproxy.co.uk and sign up for a UK account. From LifeHacker:
- Sign up for an account on the UK site. You’ll need a UK zip code, but just search for McDonald’s in London and you’ll find one without issue.
- Once you have an account, sign out and go to spotify.com. You won’t see a place to log in because that’s hidden behind the signup page. Pretend you’re signing up for a premium account and you’ll see a message asking you already have an account and want to log in. You do, so click the associated link and log in.
- Go back to spotify.com and you’ll now see a black box up at the top of the site. It’ll read “continue to spotify.com.” Click on it.
- You’re in, but your account is still UK-based. You’ll see your username displayed up on the top right. Click it and choose “Edit Profile.”
- In the “Country” menu, change “United Kingdom” to “United States” and set your zip code to whatever it actually is. Save your profile when you’re done.
- Download the Spotify app and log in.
Note that I had to use Firefox when using Dave Proxy, Safari refused to display the submit button during signup.
After doing this I was able to continue using the UK account without a VPN service turned on!
I must say I am extremely impressed with it so far. It even scans your iTunes library and integrates seamlessly.
Looking to try iOS 5 beta? Check out our UDID Activations Service.