Today at WWDC Apple took the curtain off of iOS 8 and have released the first beta in the Dev Center! Release notes inside.
Note: If you want to install any iOS beta you must have your UDID registered.
iOS SDK Release Notes for iOS 8.0 Beta
iOS SDK 8.0 provides support for developing iOS apps. It is packaged with a complete set of Xcode tools, compilers, and frameworks for creating apps for iOS and OS X. These tools include the Xcode IDE and the Instruments analysis tool, among many others.
With this software you can develop apps for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 8. You can also test your apps using the included iOS Simulator, which supports iOS 8. iOS SDK 8.0 requires a Mac computer running OS X v10.9.3 (Mavericks) or later.
This version of iOS is intended for installation only on devices registered with the Apple Developer Program. Attempting to install this version of iOS in an unauthorized manner could put your device in an unusable state.
For more information and additional support resources, visit http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/.
To report any bugs not mentioned in the Notes and Known Issues section, use the Bug Reporter app or Bug Reporter on the Apple Developer website (http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/). You can quickly get to the Bug Reporter app from the Notifications Panel. Additionally, you may discuss these issues and iOS SDK 8.0 in the Apple Developer Forums: http://devforums.apple.com. To get more information about iCloud for Developers, go tohttp://developer.apple.com/icloud.
Notes and Known Issues
The following issues relate to using iOS SDK 8.0 to develop code.
Links to Developer websites from an apps developer page are broken.
- The API returns incorrect values in some cases.
- Use of the
- Use of the new constant,
AVCaptureISOCurrent, will result in inconsistent ISO values (as observed on the ISO property) if
setExposureModeCustomWithDuration:ISO:completionHandler:is called repeatedly.
- In some configurations, the
AVCaptureStillImageOutputwill yield incorrect results.
Certain apps may crash on launch consistently if they came over from a Restore from Backup.
Workaround: Delete and re-download the app.
- The switch in Developer Settings to hide Bug Reporter is not working.Workaround: Remove it from the Notification tab in Notification Center settings.
- The Bug Reporter icon does not appear on the Home Screen on iPad.Workaround: Open the app from the Notification tab in Notification Center settings.
When attached, the camera connector is not offered as an import option.
- After using Siri, audio quality goes to 24KHz regardless of where it was originally set.
- CarPlay may crash when pressing the Back button when in Now Playing.
- When using the knob only, the highlight can move off screen but the scroll position of view doesn’t follow.
- The Now Playing screen is missing the Back button in the top-left corner.
Clients sending multiple simultaneous record update requests to the same zone in the private database may encounter
Workaround: Clients should send update requests for a given zone one at a time. In addition, they should handle
CKErrorZoneBusy errors by retrying with an exponential back off.
The Address Book UI people picker has been changed for iOS 8. A new mode with new API has been added where the app does not need access to the user’s contacts and the user will not be prompted for access. A temporary copy of the selected person is returned to the app. See ABPeoplePickerNavigationController.h for more details.
In this beta, you have the choice of using either the new mode or the old mode. The old mode will be deprecated in a future iOS 8 Beta, so you should migrate to the new mode as soon as possible.
See the new PeoplePicker: Picking a Person or Property sample project demonstrating usage of the new mode.
openURLdoes not work from an extension.
- When Extension with UI is killed, it relaunches and is not dismissed.
- Certain types of media, such as those synced from iTunes, are not editable in the Photos app.
- Sharing extensions are enabled by default.
- Sharing extensions display the name of the project instead of the name of the target.
- If a Sharing extension or an Action extension hangs, it may be necessary to kill the hosting application.
- Using xpc_service_set_attach_handler to profile app extensions for keyboard does not work.Workaround: Run your app extension in Simulator, then trigger the Keyboard extension to load and attach to the running instance (for example, com.thirdparty.foo.keyboard (123)) from Instruments’ target chooser.
- Sometimes Sharing or Action extensions are not updated properly after enabling or disabling.Workaround: Dismiss the Share sheet and relaunch it.
- During a debug session, extensions may time out before loading.
- Action extension view controllers do not support full-screen presentation.
UIActivityViewControllerdoes not work.
- Action extensions do not animate smoothly when dismissed.
FaceTime does not work properly in landscape orientation.
- Shared purchase history page on Mac App Store and iOS App Store are disabled.
- Items already owned by family members must be re-downloaded from the Purchased page (not Store pages) to get them free of additional charge.
- Under 13 account creation is disabled in this beta.
- While using the iTunes Store you may experience a spinner that never completes.Workaround: Log out and back in to iTunes to correct the issue.
- Email invitations are not enabled; members can join using push notifications or via inline password entry flow.
- Notifications for “Ask to Buy” are not available on older clients. After parental approval, kids will have to reinitiate the purchase.
- You can’t approve an “Ask to Buy” request from the requestor’s iOS device.
- Login to iCloud may be slow on iOS.
- A blank screen may be seen after creating a family on iPad.Workaround: Tap on other settings and then back to iCloud settings.
- “Ask to Buy” and Family Notifications may not appear due to SpringBoard crashing.Workaround: Reboot.
Your app needs the iCloud documents entitlement to be able to use the document picker.
- After installing or modifying an existing File Provider, you may need to restart the device for it to show up in the Document Picker.
- File Provider extension sometimes crashes when trying to import a document from a document picker view controller.
- Import/open causes sandbox denial on first try.Workaround: Please try again.
- When using the document menu, make sure to log into iCloud to properly enable selecting iCloud Documents to return a
UIDocumentViewController; from there, you may enable your File Provider extension.
- File providers may hang when importing files.
- File Provider extension will not load if changes are made to an existing file provider on device.Workaround: You need to either reboot the device or delete the app and reinstall it.
The file system layout of app containers has changed on disk. Rather than relying on hard-coded directory structure, use the
NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains function or the
URLForDirectory:inDomain:appropriateForURL:create:error: method of the
NSFileManager class. See Accessing Files and Directories.
Find My Friends
Now that the Share My Location feature is integrated into Messages, Find My Friends only supports the Apple ID configured in Settings > iCloud.
Find My iPhone
If you disable Location Services and choose Don’t Enable when prompted on the Find My iPhone page in Setup Assistant, Find My iPhone will not be enabled.
Some Hindi strings are incorrectly displayed and cause search and rendering issues.
- Interacting with some menus in Game Center may cause a crash.
- Clicking Achievements and Challenges always opens Leaderboards.
- Notifications may not go through to a second device.Workaround: For matchmaking, use automatch.
- Invites to matchmaking may get stuck on Waiting.Workaround: Use automatch.
- Swiping or tapping a Game Center friend request notification anywhere automatically accepts the friend request.
GameCenterUIServicewill crash if you try to send matchmaking invites multiple times.Workaround: Use automatch.
- Handoff does not work properly for document-based apps.
- Some apps that use Handoff will mistakenly show as Safari in the iOS lock screen and OS X Dock.
- In some cases, not all devices associated with an Apple ID will pair successfully. These devices will be unable to use Handoff, Phone relay, or Tethering.
- When using a Mac, Handoff may sometimes stop showing icons on other iOS and OS X devices. Powering the Mac off and then back on can sometimes work around this issue.
- Handoff-based Bluetooth connections between devices may stop working after trying to use Handoff.
- In some cases, using Handoff with Safari will result in an old URL being resumed instead of the current URL.
- Directions and Navigation in Maps do not work with Handoff in this beta.
- Phone calls to and from the Mac may sometimes not complete or send and receive audio.
HKCorrelationQueryonly returns objects that were saved with correlations. It should return all data entries matching the predicate.
- Blood pressure readings saved from Health will not have a correlation stored between the systolic and diastolic readings.
- The “primary” property will not be available in
HMServicein the future.
- HomeKit Bluetooth LE support is not enabled.
- Siri may not immediately recognize HomeKit data changes.Workaround: To trigger an update to Siri, edit other data used by Siri, such as a contact or the name of a Reminders list.
- Pairing with the Home Kit Accessory Simulator may fail the first time you try. A second pairing attempt should resolve the issue.
- A bridge accessory only supports a total of 5 services for all bridged accessories.
- Upon upgrading to iOS 8 Beta, existing iCloud Documents & Data present (not evicted) on your device are copied into special server-side containers for use during the beta period.
- iCloud Documents & Data created with iOS 8 Beta will not sync with with Documents and Data managed with iOS 7, OS X Mavericks, or earlier operating systems.
- iCloud Documents & Data in iOS 8 Beta will only sync with devices running iOS 8 and OS X v10.10 Developer Preview.
- iCloud Documents & Data managed with iOS 7 or OS X Mavericks will remain unaffected.
- iCloud Documents & Data created with iOS 8 Beta will be deleted from the servers at some point during the beta period. Information downloaded and not evicted from the device will remain on device and will re-sync after the data wipe occurs.
- The UI for managing iCloud Documents & Data does not show the documents and data for iOS 8 Beta and OS X v10.10 Developer Preview. It only shows the documents and data synced with previous operating systems.
- In some cases, signing into iCloud can take up to two minutes.
- Opening iTunes Radio URLs from the iTunes Store music grouping page display a page that asks you to upgrade to iOS 7.
- The shelf is not displayed on first sign-in or first launch.Workaround: Relaunch the store from the App Switcher.
- In some cases, you may need to restart an app to get third-party keyboard input to register.
- If an iPad is restored while in landscape, it may end up with an offscreen keyboard in certain views.Workaround: Reboot the device.
- Custom Keyboards do not have Network Access even after setting the
RequestsOpenAccesskey to YES in the plist.
- Deploying a third-party keyboard multiple times may cause the system keyboard to render incorrectly or go blank.Workaround: Kill the hosting app or reboot the device.
requestSupplementaryLexiconWithCompletion:method does not return any lexicon entries.
Keychain Access developer APIs may not work in Simulator.
There are a number of strings that will display in English for people running the iOS in other languages. Known areas of concern include, but are not limited to:
- Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod
- iBooks in Hindi is in English
- Many strings in the Camera app
- Locations in Messages
- Apple Dictionary untranslated for French (Canada) and Traditional Chinese (Honk Kong)
- Family Sharing Request Dialogs
- Calendar notifications
- Error dialogs
- Time units in Videos and Music
- Adding events in Mail
- Safari search and privacy strings
- Setup assistant
- Predictive typing
- Voice Memos
- Units in Health
- When Location Services is turned on, the device’s current location is used to recommend relevant apps on the lock screen. In this beta, this happens whether or not the App Store is enabled for Location Services.Workaround: To disable app recommendation on the lock screen, turn off Location Services.
CLVisitclass incorrectly declares the
horizontalAccuracyproperties as read/write.
- Apps using visit monitoring that are denied location authorization via Settings may appear to continue using location when they are not.
- Visit monitoring may continue if an app is uninstalled while it is monitoring for visits.
- A device doesn’t display the Lost Mode message in the lock screen if the device was locked at the time it was put into Lost Mode.Workaround: Reboot the device.
- After remote wiping a device and logging into the same (@icloud.com) iCloud account, the Lost Mode lock screen is displayed and the device cannot be unlocked.
- Sometimes Mail crashes when replying to an email with an attachment.
- On iPad, trying to add a contact via a Suggestion Banner causes Mail to hang.Workaround: Quit and relaunch Mail.
-[MKMapItem url]that have no URL return “http://(null)” when the should return nil.
- On iPad, tapping on “Points of Interest” can cause Maps to hang.Workaround: Kill Maps from the App Switcher and relaunch it.
- Taking multiple snapshots using
MKMapSnapshottercan sometimes produce a distorted map snapshot.Workaround: Reinitialize a new class between subsequent snapshots.
MediaPlayer.framework - MPVolumeSettingsAlertShow() does not display a volume slider or the AirPlay controller.
The string “Location” appears in non-English languages.
Radio Redirect links from product pages do not work.
Content downloaded via
NKAssetDownload doesn’t get returned to the app.
Some app crashes cause Family notifications to stop appearing.
Workaround: Family notifications will come back after a reboot.
- Passes added on iOS 7 devices won’t appear in iOS 8 devices, and vice versa.
- Pulling down to refresh passes does not work.
- Missed calls and recent call info doesn’t always update properly.
- Double height status bar does not always dismiss for phone and FaceTime calls.
- Tapping a Maps pin during a call causes a hang.
- Bringing up a contact card in Mail during a call causes a hang.
- Phone call relay uses Bluetooth, when it should be using Wi-Fi. Since not all devices have the necessary BT support, this may fail on some hardware.
- Phone call relay sometimes results in poor audio quality.
- Sometimes the FaceTime Audio icon appears when FaceTime Audio is not available.
- Back up your photo libraries before enabling iCloud Photo Library by:
- Importing to your Mac using iPhoto
- Importing to your Mac using Image Capture
- Enabling iCloud Photo Library will not add photos/videos that have been synced with iTunes to the cloud.
- The ability to automatically optimize device space is not enabled in this beta.
- “Save to Camera Roll” button in a Shared stream doesn’t work.
- If you turn off iCloud before disabling iCloud Photo Library, synced photos are still present on your device.Workaround: After signing back in to your iCloud account, turn iCloud Photo Library off and then back on.
- If you turn on iCloud Photo Library while an iCloud restore is in progress, your initial upload will not happen until the restore completes.
- When using iCloud Family, both iCloud Photos and My Photostream are enabled.
- After restore from iCloud backup, modified photos may show unmodified thumbnails.
- If you reach your iCloud quota, there is no way to add or delete data within the Photos app.
- Items deleted from the Recently Deleted album don’t sync to other devices.
- Slow motion clips that have been trimmed sync to other devices as a gray thumbnail.
- iCloud Photo downloads stall when a device is idle for a long period of time.Workaround: Sync resumes when the device wakes up.
- If both iCloud Photos and Photostream are enabled, duplicate photos are displayed.
- iCloud Photo Library does not upload Photos synced from iTunes.
- When uploading large libraries, users may encounter a stall when syncing.Workaround: Reboot the device.
- iPhoto for iOS will not launch on iOS 8 Beta. Launching Photos.app will migrate your iPhoto edits to the iOS 8 Photo Library. Make sure your iPhoto for iOS data is included in your device backup.
PHContentEditingController protocol methods may be called on background threads.
When you select Edit in a list of reminders and then scroll, reminders in the list are no longer editable.
QuickTime Player X is unable to connect to iPad Air devices for screen capture.
- Settings sometimes crashes upon addition of a third-party keyboard.
- The screen brightness slider in Settings does not work.Workaround: Use Control Center to adjust the screen brightness.
- When signing out of iCloud, the account will actually be signed out, but the UI will not correctly reflect this until the user goes out of iCloud settings and back into it.
- iTunes Wi-Fi Sync does not work.
- Sometimes Settings shows an iCloud Drive/iCloud Documents incompatibility dialog and will not let you press OK.Workaround: Wait a couple of minutes and then press OK again.
- You are unable to use the “Forgot Apple ID or Password” dialog on your device.Workaround: Reset passwords from appleid.apple.com.
Updating iCloud settings screen may appear to hang during setup.
Workaround: Some accounts may have an extra long lag. Wait a couple of minutes and they should complete.
- Logging into Game Center from the Settings app will result in an error:
- Unable to connect to server. The operations couldn’t be completed. (Cocoa error 4097.)
Workaround: Dismiss the alert and continue to log in or sign in through the Game Center app.
- Apps deployed to CarPlay do not launch or display controls.
- Changing keyboards in Settings > General > Keyboard requires you to relaunch your app before the new settings are observed.
- The resizable iPhone does not work.
- If a resizable device is being used in iOS Simulator, keyboard input will go to the width and height text fields if they have focus. If you want input to go to the hosted iOS app, you will need to use the Tab key to change focus away from the text field.
- If you rename Xcode.app after having previously run it, Simulator stops working.Workaround: Reboot or revert the name change.
- Localized strings for Voice Activation phrases don’t appear in Settings > General > Siri.Voice Activation phrase for each Siri Language:
- English (US, UK, AU, CA): Hey Siri
- French (FR, CA, CH): Dis Siri
- German (DE, CH): Hey Siri
- German (DE, CH): Hey Siri
- Italian (IT, CH): Ehi Siri
- Japanese (JP): Hey Siri
- Chinese – Cantonese (HK): ?Siri
- Chinese – Mandarin (CN, TW): ?Siri
- Spanish (MX, SP, US): Oye Siri
- Korean (KR): Siri?
- If you use Bluetooth to activate Siri and ask what song is playing, Siri fails to identify the song.
- There is no publicly available way to customize the search key for a
contentInsetis not set correctly when pushing a navigation controller on a navigation controller in a UISVC.
- Share sheets sometimes include the “Send to Shared Photostream” item when they should not.
- If an app is using a xib as its main window and is launched in landscape iPad, the main window will have the incorrect dimensions, causing significant distortion and difficulty using presented view controllers. An app may have to be force-quit after presenting a system view controller to function again.Workaround: Launch all apps in portrait before rotating to landscape.
Subpixel rendering is now on by default for all web content. Web sites or in-app web views with extremely tight design constraints may render differently. Solutions for each issue will vary, but use Web Inspector to adjust position, border thickness, and width or height of elements.
- If you pass NULL for the fqdn parameter of
SecRequestSharedWebCredentialas recommended, only the first domain in the entitlement is used.
SecAddSharedWebCredentialcurrently only work on device, not in Simulator.
Mapviews do not load tiles in widgets.